Who is eligible to participate in CAREDAYS 2013: Terrific Tales?
All employers are encouraged to participate in the national CAREDAYS initiative. There are no specific eligibility requirements. Participating employers represent the diversity of organizations that care - large corporations, small businesses, service firms, publicly-held and privately-owned organizations, government entities, health care organizations, not-for-profits, academic institutions, and others.
Why should my company participate in Terrific Tales?
Three great reasons:
1. To involve everyone: This is an initiative in which every part of your company can participate. It doesn't necessarily need to be coordinated by the corporate office. If your company has multiple branches or office locations, each of them can identify a local school to partner with.
2. To encourage literacy: Investing in literacy is important. When you help students develop their ability to read effectively, you equip them with the skills they need to succeed and excel as they enter high school, college, and the work world.
3. To see your impact: Terrific Tales provides a unique opportunity to bring books directly to students. Employees who work hard to make Terrific Tales a success at their company enjoy seeing the fruits of their community service. We encourage companies to plan a celebration for the school to celebrate the donation and get everyone talking about literacy education in schools today.
Are there other CAREDAYS celebration activities?
In addition to participating in the annual CAREDAYS initiative, companies may celebrate by organizing activities and events that integrate the 10 Characteristics of Socially Responsible Employers more fully into their work environment. Each organization may plan customized activities that make the initiative meaningful to them and responsive to their development or recognition needs.
How much does CAREDAYS cost?
The only costs associated with celebrating CAREDAYS are the costs an organization might incur to implement the activities it plans.
How do we register our plans for CAREDAYS?
How much does building a library usually cost?
Center for Companies That Care has a partnership with Scholastic Books, which allows us to purchase new books at a reduced price. Below is an estimation of the price of an average book, as well as the estimated cost of an entire library.
- $7/paperback book
- $15/hardcover book
- $1000/classroom library (125 books)
Please note that 15% of each donation is allocated to cover Center for Companies That Care's costs for identifying schools as well as purchasing, receiving, and distributing the books.
Will Center for Companies that Care provide any support?
Where are the schools?
The schools are wherever you are. If you would like to lend a hand to a school in your area, Center for Companies that Care will help you locate a school that could benefit from your help.
If a school has multiple branches can we help them in all their locations?
Yes! Feel free to help as many schools as you can.
When I contact the school, what should I say?
When contacting the schools in your area you should introduce yourself, your company, and the Terrific Tales initiative. Explain Terrific Tales, and ask the school if they would value participating. If they are interested, it is important to find out if who you should use within the school as your contact. If someone at the school is responsible for the maintenance of classroom libraries, they would be a great go-to person as your company carries out its Terrific Tales initiative. They would be able to provide you with the answers to questions your company might have, for example:
- Which grade levels or classrooms need books?
- What is the average reading level of the kids who will be receiving the libraries?
- Would the administration be comfortable allowing your company to host an event at the school around the Terrific Tales initiative?
- Is there a time during the academic year the school would prefer to accept your donation?
- Would the school like to be involved in the selection of the books?
- What language should the books be in?
Remember, the administrators at Title 1 schools are especially busy. You should not take a lack of responsiveness as a lack of interest. In the past participants have found that establishing initial contact with the schools is the hardest part, so allow yourself some time to make those connections.
Who delivers the books?
Your company may send the books directly to the school, ask the school to pick up the books, or deliver them personally. In the past, participants have found it incredibly rewarding to personally deliver the books. If your company chooses to personally deliver the books, you may decide to include a celebration for the students. In the past companies have brought in storytellers to provide entertainment, held small assemblies, or thrown a party for students, which included a focus on literacy.
How many classroom libraries has Terrific Tales provided?
In 2008 companies provided 45 libraries for deserving schools. With your help Terrific Tales can reach its three-year goal to provide 1,000 classroom libraries of high quality books to less-advantaged schools nationwide!
Can I speak with a company who has participated in the past?
Yes. Contact Center for Companies That Care, and we will connect you with a past Terrific Tales participant who will try to answer any questions you might have.