Parent Networking and Information Sessions
The Invisible Differences Parent Networking and Information Sessions will benefit you because you, as a parent of a child with an invisible difference, (learning disabled, non-verbal learning disabled, autism spectrum, etc.), will have the chance to interact with other parents who have children with similar needs. Parents will have the opportunity to learn that the invisible difference should not define the child, rather is just a part of what makes the child who they are.
Each meeting, which will be held monthly, there will be a speaker about a topic relevant to children with invisible differences. These speakers will include:
- A speaker who will discuss the issues/challenges you, as parents, want to hear about.
- Real people with invisible differences who “made it”
- Educational experts who will give tips on how to best teach children how to advocate for themselves, and how you as parents can help
- A speaker who outlines the difference between the high school and college experience
- A speaker who demonstrates how assistive technology can be beneficial to students.
Furthermore, and possibly the biggest benefit of joining us for these meetings, is the chance for the students to interact with one another, and for students to hear the success stories of people who are like them.
Mark Your Calendar!
Sessions will be held on the second Tuesday of each month, and will include a guest speaker, networking sessions, and a Q + A portion. All sessions are at the Center for Companies That Care office (954 West Washington Blvd., Chicago).
October 15: Parent Network Kick-Off Meeting
November 12: "Holidays and Special Needs"
December 12: "Legal Issues"